In this article
Why do people choose surrogacy as their fertility option?
There are a few reasons why people choose surrogacy over other fertility options, such as IVF or adoption. Some of these reasons could include:
- People facing fertility issues.
- A single parent who wants to have children.
- Women who want to have a child using their egg but don’t want the inconvenience of a pregnancy, for example due to their career.
- Women who can use their egg to conceive but can’t carry a child due to other health reasons.
- People in a same-sex couple.
- Intended parents who want to avoid passing down a genetic defect or health condition.
- Single individuals who want a genetically related child but can’t carry the baby.
- If the birth mother can’t carry a pregnancy due to certain medications.
- Women who have frozen their eggs but can no longer carry a pregnancy e.g. if they’ve had a hysterectomy.
- People who have past traumas during pregnancy/labour but want to have more genetically related children.
Everyone’s surrogacy journey is unique to them and it’s important to be sensitive regardless of their reasoning.
Does surrogacy always require a fertility clinic?
England and Wales recognise two different types of surrogacy arrangement.
Host/Gestational surrogacy – When the surrogate’s egg isn’t used. For example, the intended parents use their egg or a donor’s egg. In these cases, a fertility clinic will need to assist.
Straight/Traditional surrogacy – When the surrogate uses their own egg, meaning that a fertility clinic isn’t necessarily involved.
The biggest considerations when thinking about using a fertility clinic are:
- Their requirements for people choosing surrogacy.
- The screening requirements that they have for donor sperm, if needed.
- The contracts they may use and how they could affect your rights (as both the surrogate and the intended parents).
- The cost.
Generally, using a fertility clinic can provide both parties with more protection and more rights. This is important to keep in mind when deciding on the best path for you.